Overtone singing, also known as overtone chanting, or harmonic singing, is a type of singing in which the singer manipulates the resonances (or formants) created as air travels from the lungs, past the vocal folds, and out the lips to produce a melody.
The partials (fundamental and overtones) of a sound wave made by the human voice can be selectively amplified by changing the shape of the resonant cavities of the mouth, larynx and pharynx. This resonant tuning allows the singer to create apparently more than one pitch at the same time (the fundamental and a selected overtone), while in effect still generating a single fundamental frequency with his/her vocal folds.
Another name for overtone singing is throat singing, but that term is also used for Inuit throat singing, which is produced differently. – Wikipedia
I have collected a variety of examples, from traditional, to experimental modern forms, and beyond.
Inuit Throat Singing: Kathy Keknek and Janet Aglukkaq (long) This is the real deal. This isn’t about Hollywood and Veuve Cliquot, it’s about chillin’ in an igloo.
Alex Glenfield Throws Seven Styles of Tuvan Neck Magic – Yes, this white boy is the Elvis of Tuvan throat singing. No joke.
- The King of Mooooooooooooo! Someone call Peter Jackson. Miroslav Grosser gots your Elvan porno soundtrack.
- Ondar Takes Us “Back Tuvan Future” on Late Night With David Letterman I smell sell-out, but look how he attacks the mic like a T Rex. Boom!
- Ondar, Why The Hell Did You Cut A Rap Song? And Sample Richard Feynman? Genius! – Ozark harp coda, extra genius
- French beat box phenomenon EKLIPS performs a 4 minutes history of HIP HOP for Trace Urban… In one single take! – This is the evolution of throat singing, adding a plethora of other vocalization techniques
- My name is HIKAKIN. I’m a Japanese Beatboxer. He uses an electronic sampler to do Skrillex the beat box way. Check out the Tuvan bass line. Arigato!
- Mr. Methane Demonstrates a Most Unusual and Unorthodox Form of Polyvocal Singing – A duet of Da Do Ron Ron on BBC, banned! Disgusting…and fairly accurate.