Faux tajine chicken with butternut squash and lucky dragon potato
60 minutes. Black salt smells like sulfur. Autocad smells like I did this in five minutes. This serves three or four people.
You will need two cast iron pans 12” and 9”, tin foil, oven, mortar n pestle, tongs, mitt
- One onion, halved, then halves cut into eights, kept together like domes
- Bag of frozen cubed butternut squash
- 2 pounds of frozen chicken breast
- Russet potatoes per person
- 1/2 Paprika
- 1/4 Cumin
- 1 Black salt, ground in mortar n pestle
- 1 Black pepper
- I/2 Oregan
- 1 Olive oil
- 2 Butter
- One lemon, sliced into ½” rings
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place chicken in large pan with lemon. Cover with dry spices, but retain half of salt and black pepper. Add coconut oil to pan.
- Wash potatoes, roll and seal them in tin foil, prick with knife a couple of times (1 per two inches length is fine).
- Place onion domes carefully in small pan, dome up. Sprinkle with ¼ Tbsp of salt.
- Place pan with chicken, and pan with only onion into oven, pack in potatoes, biggest to back of oven.
- Set timer for 20 minutes.
- Remove onions, which should be smoking, -when onions smoke (20 minutes or so), remove from oven with mitt, add butternut squash, incorporate with tongs, return to oven.
- Remove chicken with mitt, flip fowl with tongs, add remainder of salt and pepper, return to oven.
- Set oven for 20 minutes, squeeze roasted lemons on chicken with tongs, return chicken to oven with mitt.
- When timer goes off, remove squash, turn it with tongs, let it cool for 10 minutes, and return to oven for 10 more with 1 Tbsp of butter. Pull chicken with mitt, turn chicken, add 1/2 cup water, butter.
- Cook until timer goes off.
- Remove everything from oven with mitt and tongs to cool for five minutes.
- Serve. Recommend slitting tin foil, squeezing potato until it eruptss, add sour cream and butter generously. Use water in pan to brown chicken.
That recipe put me on the map.